Introduction and safety
To ensure safe and humane handling of pigs, the correct procedures should be understood and practiced. This includes becoming aware of their flight zone as well as the different techniques used for young and old pigs.
Handling and restraining pigs may be necessary for tasks such as assessing body condition score, blood collection or vaccination.
Before restraining and handling pigs:
- Ensure the work area is large enough to perform the task safely, but small enough to restrict the pig’s movement.
- Understand the animal’s flight zone
- Avoid: abuse, loud noises, yelling and isolating animals
- Use slow, deliberate movements
- Allow animals to walk at their own pace
- Non-slip flooring is critical
- Minimize or avoid distractions, such as shadows, reflections, moving objects, air drafts, people and other noises